Thursday, March 18, 2021

An Inspiration in Desolation

A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Of course you must read the previous book first. If you are a fan of intellectual space opera, you'll enjoy it. Also plenty of action. And you need to be able to enjoy a diverse culture with plenty of queer folk. If you have ever fallen in love with a "savage" culture because of poetry, you will especially enjoy these books. Enjoyed the homage to graphic novels in this one, that was fun.
I almost never give five stars after the first book in a series, because the novelty of the world-building is part of that 5th star, for me. After reading almost everything in SFF (started with my dad's 1950s mags in the 70s, went backwards & forwards), it takes a lot to get that 5th star. But this one delivers the same amazement, a perfect balance of art & craft. Brava!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment