Sunday, February 2, 2014

Spin me lots more stories, please!


Carousel Sun (Carousel, #2)Carousel Sun by Sharon Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thanks, Baen and Netgalley, for the e-arc for review!

A worthy sequel to Carousel Tides, though a "middle" kind of book. You must read Carousel Tides first. I would call it contemporary fantasy, not urban fantasy, since it takes place in a small town on the Maine coast. It certainly has an urban fantasy feel, with a kick-ass, curmudgeonly heroine and a touch of romance. Kate and Archer's Beach (the town) get filled out a little more, magical system becomes a little clearer (Kate is discovering all this stuff herself, too).

I enjoyed every minute reading it. Sharon Lee is a master of the craft by now and one may not like everything she writes (I like all 20-50 somethings I've read, save one, and am a Liaden fanatic, quietly)--but she keeps a story going and her descriptive qualities and dialogue are excellent. Also, I was happy to see a sympathetic gay character come along in this novel.

I am looking very much forward to learning more about the 6 Worlds, loved the glimpses we got in this book. Highly recommend that there be a series!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment