Saturday, October 3, 2009

Review of When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A fitting homage to Madeleine L'Engle and A Wrinkle In Time.
Miranda and her relationships feel real. Regular growing pains and school life until mysterious notes pop up and Miranda's world is changed forever.
A good book for those kids (and kids in adult bodies) who love to ponder different questions than their peers; but like L'Engle's work, providing a grounding, calming presence of love and daily life and concerns.

Very good explanation of how time does not exist. Or how time relates to "reality". Also a lovely devaluation of common sense. (See Mister God, This Is Anna "People have points of view, but Mister God has viewing points," for more physics for creative souls.)

Unusually for me, I am giving this book five stars, the fifth star for craftmanship. I usually reserve that star for evoked emotion and/or wonder and/or fresh take on old tropes. Until now, I believe that L'Engle was her own sub-genre (please enlighten me if this is not so, I'd love to read more). Anyway, there is never a false note in the relationships or explanations in the book. Pitch-perfect.

I am about to find the author's previous book, First Light, and devour it, as well.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment