Monday, October 28, 2013

Good vs. Evil


The Faceless OneThe Faceless One by Mark Onspaugh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow.  I usually avoid horror, but I love shamanic themes, so I asked for this title. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it counts as a paranormal thriller, like James Rollins’ first books. A screenwriter, Onspaugh makes the cut in a novel that would make a great movie. Engaging characters, (including spirit being Raven), heroes of all age groups, ripping good story: the book has elements of a great buddy story, heroism against evil, child in danger. Usually one wants to say pick one and stick with it, but Onspaugh balances the elements very well.

The Faceless One is one of those first novels that makes you hope for more,  despite some slight awkwardness of dialogue and plot in a couple of places. I’m not expert in Tlingit mythology, but the magical aspects hold up. There are some great comedic moments, too. Publish more, please!

(I received a temporary Ebook for review, from the publisher and Netgalley. Netgalley reviewers are not paid.)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment