Thursday, May 28, 2015

We Are Not Alone

Footsteps in the SkyFootsteps in the Sky by Greg Keyes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The intriguing thing about this novel is that it places some Hopi/Pueblo lore at the center of a space drama, utilizing the tropes of invaders vs. colonists, advanced science vs. magical powers, tradition, politics, ethics, opposing and complementary worldviews, and first contact to draw the obvious parallels. And turns expectations upside down and crossways.

It was beautiful, violent, and strange, just like my native Southwest. Keyes is respectful of native traditions as he explores love and honor in the cosmos. I have read and enjoyed Keyes' fantasy novels and am happy to report he can handle science fiction also. Particularly recommended for those who enjoy scifi with a Native American twist, or the works of Dan Simmons and Greg Bear (this is short, though).

Though I received an EARC for review from the publisher and Netgalley, I ordered a copy for my "real" bookshelves.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment